Wednesday, May 11, 2011

KIN 2m Ringtone settings

Okay, this post is so typically not like me, but I was so frustrated with not being able to come up with a consise method of HOW to make a new ringtone for my KIN 2m, that I decided that I'd post it, and if I could help one person, then I'll feel better.

It's so simple!

All you have to do is use an mp3 of the song you want to have as your ringtone. I suggest finding a way to shorten a piece of it down to no longer than 30 seconds. There are some good software choices, available free of charge, to do that. Just do a search online and you're bound to come up with something

Then, send yourself an MMS message. If you're like me, you're probably going "What the heck does that mean?!" Well, for me, I'm on Verizon, so it means I need to e-mail my phone. Yes, my phone has it's own e-mail address. Pretty awesome, no? So, to send an MMS message to my cell phone, I e-mail my 10-digit phone number @vzwpix.com, and it comes through like a text message. I've been trying to look up information for AT&T users, but haven't had any luck, so if anyone knows how to MMS an AT&T phone, please let me know!

So I type in the address, just like I was sending any other email:
TO: 1234567890@vzwpix.com
Then, I attach the mp3 file I want to use for a ring tone.

When the e-mail comes through on my phone, there are two options: SET RINGTONE or SAVE.

If you want the ringtone to be set for any incoming calls, then hit SET RINGTONE. If you want it to be for anything else, select SAVE. The phone already knows where to put it, and it will be under the "Melodies" section of your ring tone screen. From there, set it just like you would for any other ringtone/alert!

Pretty simple, right? I was thrilled to find out how easy it was. If anyone has instructions for how to MMS an AT&T KIN phone, please let me know so I can add it here!

2 comments:

Olivia Drew said...

You dont know me, but I did a search for this in google and your post came up. I was wondering what software you used to get the mp3 song?

-Olivia

Melissa said...

Hi Olivia -
I actually did a search for the song I wanted as a ring tone. Since I was looking for something from a video game I did a search for "Dragon Age: Origins ring tones." There is a great website that's at www.zedge.net that you can download some ringtones that others have already created.

Unfortunately, I don't have the audio editor on my computer anymore, so I can't tell you what the one I used was called, but I want to say it was the free version of Power Sound Editor.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this - I JUST saw your comment waiting for moderation. Not sure why it went to moderation though.

Anyway, I hope you found what you were looking for, and that you were able to get some new ring tones!